Sugar + Olive Oil = Homemade Lip Scrub

Do you exfoliate your lips?  Probably not. Until recently, I didn’t either, but now, it  has become a weekly ritual of mine.

Whenever I had dry lips, I grabbed whatever lip balm I had, and applied it for temporary relief.  Well, that’s all that it is – temporary.  Lip exfoliation is more of a long term fix for two main reasons: it removes dead skin cells (making lips softer) and retains moisture content (helps lip balm work effectively).

lips

So I’m sure your next question would be, “Okay, which one and where should I get it?”  Good question!  You can make this lip scrub at home, in less than a minute, with ingredients that I guarantee are in your kitchen right now!  To top it off, it’s ALL NATURAL!

Ingredients:

• Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
  • Sugar (Recommend brown, but white is fine as well) –
  • Bowl
  • Toothbrush (Obviously not in your kitchen)

brownsugar

Benefits of Sugar:

• Has glycolic acid which helps remove dead skin
  • It does not clog pores.
  • Sugar helps in eliminating blemishes.
  • Sugar restores skin’s moisture balance.

Benefits of Olive Oil:

• Has Vitamin E which is a great moisturizer for lipsoliveoil
  • Adds glow to the skin
  • Coconut oil helps healing sun burn

Directions:

Note: Lip exfoliation works best if you do it right after you get out of the shower

1.  Grab a toothbrush, wet it with warm water, and move the bristles in circular motions on your lips as if you are brushing them.  Do this for about a minute.

2.  Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of the olive oil with 1 teaspoon of sugar into a bowl until it becomes a paste-like consistency.

3.  Massage the mixture on your lips and leave it on for about 2-3 minutes.

4.  Wipe the excess off your lips using a wet, warm towel.

5.  Apply some hydrating lip balm to your soft lips!

Repeat the above steps once (no more than twice) a week and you will love the way your lips feel.  And don’t forget to drink lots of water to stay hydrated!!!

Try it out and let me know how it works for you!

6 comments on Sugar + Olive Oil = Homemade Lip Scrub

1. Donna Keissami
    April 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm (6 years ago)

I am gonna try this when I get a little bit of time :) Thanks for sharing! I know lots of people have the dry lips issue – they come into the pharmacy asking for help all the time!

2. Julia
    March 9, 2014 at 2:51 pm (5 years ago)

I tried this on my lips when there were so dry and flaking off, I figured this scrub worked on my cracked heels and dry skin on my body so why not try on my lips.

3. abby
    March 27, 2014 at 11:49 pm (5 years ago)

this works great got my sister to try it and it worked wonders on both me and her thank you for this lip scrub with out it my lips would be terrible! thank you, again.

4. Jay
    October 14, 2015 at 9:38 pm (4 years ago)

trying this after my shower lol hopefully no side effects

5. ramya krishnan
    February 27, 2016 at 10:31 am (3 years ago)

I try for some days its giving good result

6. Victoria
    April 7, 2016 at 5:46 pm (3 years ago)

I used to wake up with lips that had dead skin on them, and I would scrape them off with my nails. I had bought some olive oil about a month ago and I have been meaning to do this for a while now. I don’t really have chapped lips right now, but it has been hot lately and later on this week there will be a dramatic weather change so I figured why not give this a go.

I skipped the first step by accident, (I didn’t even wet my lips with warm water)
    neither did I have a toothbrush (I will be getting one from the 99 cents store specifically for this.)

I made the mixture onto a plate. The olive oil just absorbs the sugar, but you should still mix it. I do not have a little cup to put this in, sadly enough. I used a paper plate though, and I will be keeping it on this plate.

After I applied my favorite lip balm, I notice right away how smooth my lips are when I rub them together. I don’t feel any dead skin on my lips.
    I do have a little burning sensation though (my lip balm is mint flavored, might be why)

Anyways, if you have badly chapped lips, I suggest you do this. I did this when my lips were normal, and it still had fascinating results. I will definitely be sharing this with my friend.